3.07.2005

What's up with Allen Hall?

There has to be something in the drinking water at Allen Hall. One of the plusses to living in that res hall (at UIUC) is the Guests in Residence program. Basically, various learned people from around the world come and live in the dorm for a few days to several weeks. While there, they give various talks around the university, and have discussions with the students of the hall.

So, the current guests are Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn, who, aside from their academic credits, are former members of the Weathermen. Most reads under the age of 40 won't recognize the name, so if you don't, check the link and come back.

Okay, so now you know that, during the Vietnam War, the Weatherman were, basically, a terrorist organization. Really, I cannot think of another term to describe anyone who plants explosive devices. I don't care if you are looking for "non-lethal targets" - there is always the chance for collateral damage. If it was wrong for the US government to drop bombs in an indescriminate fashion, then it is no less wrong for you to plant them in a similar fashion.

Anyway, the Daily Illini (which, sadly, I still read, even though I graduated years ago) first did a story on this the 28th. Since then, the DI has editorialized about it, and students have written in to express their opinions, and Ayers and Dorn have written the DI as well.

I admit that I haven't yet verified this quote, but Mr Ayers said (in a profile printed in the New York Times, on, ironically enough, the morning of 9/11/01):

"I don't regret setting bombs [against non-human targets]. I believe we didn't do enough."

I don't doubt the quote much. I'm going to read through the FBI links on wikipedia, but my hunch is, since Mr Ayers has written a book about his time with the Weathermen, it's probably true. History News Network also has at least a couple different articles on the subject as well.

So, yanking back onto topic: the U of I has a couple unrepentent, former terrorists living at a student residence hall. They might have gone on and reintegrated themselves into society, but I don't think that they should be lauded for it. I'm sorry- but they planted bombs! If, perhaps, had they done jail time and were repentent, I might not care, but this is not the case.

I still want to know why they got invited. I believe that the residents of Allen Hall get to vote on whom they would like to invite (from a prepared list). Were these two listed as educators or former terrorists?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home