2.16.2005

Who wants to live forever, anyway?

I ran across this article today. Now, the concept of nigh-immortality is kinda kewl and all, assuming that we can solve the inevitable population issues, plus allocation of resources, legal issues, etc.

But what really worried me was this quote from the article:

Kurzweil writes of millions of blood cell-sized robots, which he calls "nanobots," that will keep us forever young by swarming through the body, repairing bones, muscles, arteries and brain cells. Improvements to our genetic coding will be downloaded via the Internet. We won't even need a heart.

It's the part in bold that concerns me. If this all comes to pass, then you really could order PenilEnlargement 2.7 or Bust Enhancement 4.6 from on-line vendors. Of course, you might inadvertantly install OrganFailure 1.8 or PenileReduction 9.3, so I suspect that anti-virus software might take on a whole new meaning.

I'm not sure that immortality is ever going to be achieved. I can envision lifespans of a thousand years, but I'm not sure that many people have the temperment to deal with all the changes it would bring.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home