4.24.2006

Stupid warning label

Okay, this has nothing to do with running, but it should be a fun rant nonetheless.

For Easter, my wife and I bought one of those pop-up folding tents for our son. It looks kind of like this:

Now, on the inside, it has the standard "Do not use tent near heat sources or open flame. This tent is not made of a fireproof material, etc, etc, etc." No problem. I fully understand the need for such a warning.

There is also this warning, however:

DO NOT OPERATE ANY DEVICE WHICH BURNS FUEL INSIDE OF THE
TENT.

Combustion consumes oxygen and can produce dangerous levels of carbon
monoxide which could lead to serious injury or death.

Right. Now, to put this in perspective, the tent has an exterior footprint of perhaps 3' x 4' - if I am being generous. If I try, I can fit inside it, barely, and it is awfully cramped. Realistically, very few people are actually going to try and use this as shelter in any way, shape or form, and the ones doing so are probably all under the age of 6. If you trust a five-year-old with an open flame, then really, the warning on the tag isn't going to slow you down one bit.

I suspect, however, that the warning is present for the same reason that my Dremel has a warning that it is not to be used for dental work - because somewhere, some idiot actually tried it, and now the company has to go all CYA.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home