2.09.2005

Sucks to be a smoker. . .

Now, let me start by saying that I do not smoke. It's definitely not a habit I would want to cultivate, and I really do not enjoy being in places where I have to breathe in someone else's nicotene exhaust.

Now that I've said that, I think that this is just wrong. I have no problem with a company designating themselves as a no-smoking area, and refusing to even have an area where employees who do smoke can puff away in piece. But, telling employees who smoke in their own homes that they are fired strikes me as incredibly un-American.

What's worse is that he also plans to go after people who are overweight (unless they are obese, in which case they are legally protected). Personally, while I would start looking for another job if I worked there, if I were close to the legally obese benchmark, I'd actually eat more, in order to save my job. Talk about a self-defeating idea there.

I can understand what he is trying to do. Smokers and overweight (or inactive) workers can help drive up insurance costs. But rather than punish those who smoke, why not offer bonuses to those who don't?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home