4.06.2006

Laziness

ORN: 6 miles, 50:17, 1 degree incline.

Firk ding blast - if I had actually tried a little harder, run a little faster, I would have broken that 50 minute mark. It's not a big deal, but I've been kind of lazy the last couple weeks, and it really showed today. I could make several excuses - my wife has been gone for most of the last two weeks (leaving me alone with the 2-year old bundle of energy that we call a son), I had stride problems for the first two miles, the Earth's gravitational pull has increased slightly, I was helping pull an Iditarod team, etc.

The reality is that I've allowed a certain degree of laziness to creep into my running over the last few weeks. I had to take some time off due to illness, and slacked off. When I was finally feeling better, instead of really getting into running again, I "eased" back into it. Or, put another way, instead of resuming a training schedule that had me active 6 days a week, I started back up with 3, maybe 4. It hasn't hurt my running, per se, but it certainly hasn't helped it.

I know, I know - I'm supposed to be tapering anyway, and preparing for my race. That doesn't mean that I can't push myself a little on the workouts - today wasn't hard at all, once I got into it, and I could have pushed a little, infinitesimal bit more, and cut off those 17 seconds. I should have.

I'm already concerned that I am going to miss a personal, private time goal by some dinky little amount. I could stand missing it by a minute, but to miss when you are so close? That's what really hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home