3.02.2006

Crappy dreadmill run

ORN: 6.5 miles, 1 degree, 60 minutes.

Okay, I'm confused, hurt and really ticked off. My marathon plan calls for today to be an easy, middle-distance run, to recuperate slightly from yesterday's tempo work. That means that my heart rate should be in the 140-150 range, max, and a little lower wouldn't be bad. So, I start my run with a little warm-up walk, and settle into a nice, comfortable 9 minute pace (give or take), slowly easing into it. After about 20 minutes, I pause the dreadmill and use it to take my pulse. I'm curious, but not real aprehensive - this is a "happy pace", which I can comfortably hold for well over an hour at this point.

My pulse comes back at 175 (or something similar - might be off by a beat or two, but it was in the mid-170's.)

WTF?

This puts it above the moderate-hard level - if that thign is accurate, I tool along, happily and without much effort, at something like 95% of maximum for almost an hour. Now, I admit that after 40-50 minutes, I might have a problem carrying on a conversation - but up until then, I can talk normally and almost sing (depending on the day, I can, actually).

So, I curse silently, and start dialing back down, pausing every five minutes or so and rechecking my pulse. It finally gets into the "acceptable" range at about 6.1 miles, and I run most of another 30 minutes at that pace. It hurts. It's uncomfortable. It's bloody painful, dammit. So bad, actually, that I say, "To hell with this" at the 50 minute mark, and start bringing the speed back up. I finish strong, and in much less pain than I was earlier in the run.

But now, I'm sitting here, typing away and feeling the aftereffects of that horribly painful middle 30 minutes. I'm hoping that the cross-training tomorrow goes well - but if some of this pain persists, I might have to radically retool my training schedule to account for the time I will lose healing.

Which might well mean the difference between actually running the whole thing, and going the run/walk route.

On the plus side - I got new shoes today. Same brand as last time, but slightly larger, for the long runs. The other ones start giving hot spots at about an hour, and blisters at about 90 minutes. The increase in size should prevent the problem.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever met a single person who had a GREAT run on the evil treadmill.

And there's nothing wrong with doing a bit of run/walking. You'll be amazed at how much energy you save! At the end of the race you'll be passing all the runners who burned their energy up in the beginning.

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home