8.09.2006

Ouch - I hate concrete

OKay, let's catch up on some running reports, shall we?

Monday - 4.5-5 miles, 45:30 or so. I ran this one with my sister-in-law, who has not been running much lately. I let her set the pace for most of it, though I tried to push her into picking it up a bit at the end. This was the first time in quite a while that I have run without water, and, the first time in an even longer period that I have done any significant running on concrete.

Tuesday morning - same route as previous night (so 4.5-5), only this time I took a water bottle, and it was much earlier in the day, so considerably cooler. This time, I managed it in 41:30 or so.

Tuesday night - same route again (it's an out, loop twice around a lake, and back, so it's marginally repetitive, but, compared to an hour on the treadmill, increadibly interesting and varied), this time in 45:08. I think I can cross bison burger, coffee and fries of the list as a good pre-race meal.

This morning: planned on doing a longer run, only got through 4.5-5 before bagging it and calling it good. (I can run the lake loop multiple times, and each one adds another 1.5 miles to the run.) I was out of water (carried some this morning), one knee was twinging a bit in an unpleasant way, and I was just getting blinded by sweat. So, I cut it short, and made up for it by buying a wicking cap to keep the sweat out of my eyes.

I'll do a longer run tomorrow morning, and then a short 3 or 4.5ish one tomorrow night. No doubles today or Friday though - I have plans for tonight, and I am not going to do a double the day before I go for my long slow run. It is nice to know that I can do them, though I had forgotten how hard concrete can be on the knees - and, due to traffic, most of my runs here have to be on sidewalks.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you...training on concrete is for the birds...but when it comes to marathon time I am always SO GLAD that I did.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one experimenting with pre-race meals :-) Last night I had a stir fry. It wasn't really that bad, but I think I need to wait more than an hour after dinner before running.

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice workouts! I know what you mean, that concrete is not very forgiving to me either.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, concrete sucks but it is better then the treadmill!!
Running around the lake sounds nice.
Great workouts!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home