8.02.2006

Short speedwork session

ORN: 20 minutes, 2.5 degrees, 2.67 miles (or so, time mattered more than distance tonight)

Tonight was a quick and fairly easy speedwork session. I alternated between two minutes at an easy jogging pace (6.5 mph), and 2 minutes at a fairly hard running pace (9.5 mph). I did 20 minutes of that, and probably could have added at least another 8, but I wanted to get home to help my wife put the son to bed.

I wanted to go do a longer run this morning, but someone (who shall remain nameless) threw several large, noisy, long tantrums. This had the good effect of helping clean out some of the last vestiges of his congested nasal cavities, but really put me in a mood where I did not want to take him anywhere, lest I have to leave after 5 minutes when the next tantrum began.

I admit that I was also rather sore this morning - I think yesterday's run was too hard and too fast after missing almost a week. I'll make up what I lost, but it will take me some time. I'm not worried about finishing Chicago - I could probably run it as early as Saturday, if I had to - but I want to have a strong race and a good finish, even if I do not PR.

Only about a month to go before my next half-marathon race though, and that should serve as a good benchmark for my Chicago performance. It will almost be too late to make any major changes, but at least it could prepare me for disappointment, if I really blow the race on Labor Day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A nice easy jog at 6.5 miles per hour? Wo! I got a ways to go :-)

11:07 AM  
Blogger Garou said...

Well, I have been in some form of dedicated training (not strenuous training, but 3-4 workouts per week, on average) for more than a year. You're seeing improvement already - stick with it, and you'll be calling 6.5 "easy" before you know it.

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home