10.16.2006

Soon, very soon. . .

ORN: 4 miles, no incline, still about 8 min/mile, but much easier on the flat. 6 miles of biking. "100 mile" total is 63.

I first want to give a major thanks to Running Jayhawk, for her Ode to the Chicago Marathon Bloggers. Not only have I been passing it around, I have been told to make a hard copy suitable for going into a scrapbook. It's also going to be printed out, and read when I am going through pre-race jitters on the 22nd.

Speaking of the race, am I the only one out there who actually likes the idea of running in light showers and low to mid-40s? I'd rather have that than the 65 degrees that some people are apparently praying for. It's still a few days out, so there's plenty of time for it to change.

More so than for any previous race, perhaps, I am watching the highlights, the course map, a documentary from last year's race, and going over every scrap of information I can find. (Of course, since most of my previous races have been smaller trail races, information about them was limited to a photocopied map. . . if that.) I'm anxious, nervous, and champing at the bit to be actually running the thing.

It's not an unusual occurance, actually. I will become progressively more nervous and skittish, right up to the point where that horn sounds and we start moving. At that moment, that second, all my training, all my preparation, everything that I have done or failed to do no longer matters. I simply have to run the race with the conditions as they are - overtrained, undertrained, under-dressed, cold or hot, shoes that need replacing or ones with a hundred good miles still in them. It's the waiting that gets to me.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Iron Jayhawk said...

i hear ya on the waiting game. I am sooo ready for it to just get here.

I'm hoping for race conditions in the low 50's. Rain is fine...it's just temps taht begin with 3 that make me overly anxious!

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home